Frequently asked questions
Search form for frequently asked questions
How does Bid for Upgrade work, and what requirements apply to placing bids at Eurowings?
Bid for Upgrade offers you the opportunity to submit a bid for an upgrade to the BIZclass fare at any time about 73 hours before departure. After the deadline passes, you can no longer bid. To submit a bid, all you need is the prior purchase of a ticket in the SMART or BEST fare for a direct flight on a Eurowings route that also offers BIZclass seats. We do not charge any booking or registration fees for upgrade bids.
If you receive an upgrade you can fly in the BIZclass fare on this route. This includes:
- A comfortable lie-flat seat with more legroom1
- Two items of luggage each weighing up to 32 kg
- Two items of hand luggage (each max. 8kg), incl. reserved hand luggage compartment
- Significantly improved in-flight service with menu service
- Lounge access (as available)
- Use of the fast lane
How Bid for Upgrade works:
- Log in to eurowings.com in the "Mein Flug" / "My Eurowings" area with your login data or your name and booking reference, and select the booking for which you would like to submit a bid for an upgrade. This service is only available online; it is not possible to submit a bid by telephone.
- If it is possible to submit a bid for the selected booking, you will see a link to "Bid for Upgrade" below the flight information. Here you can submit your bid for upgrade to the BIZclass fare. An upgrade bid can only be submitted SEPARATELY for each leg (for example, a flight from Cologne to Berlin = first leg, return from Berlin to Cologne = second leg) and for all passengers in a booking. If a booking includes several passengers, your upgrade bid applies to each person for all passengers in the booking (for example, in the case of 3 passengers in one booking and a bid of 50 euros for the BIZclass upgrade for the outgoing leg: 3 x €50 = €150). If your bid for an outgoing flight is accepted, there is no guarantee that your bid for the return flight will also be accepted.
- After entering your credit card information and confirming the terms of participation, you can submit your bid. The credit card information is only used to confirm your bid – your credit card is only charged once your bid is accepted and an upgrade has been made to the BIZclass fare.
- You will receive a confirmation of receipt of your bid by email or SMS. It may take up to four hours to send an email. Please also check your spam folder. As a rule, all communication about your bid will be sent by email. If you would also like to receive an alert by SMS, please be sure to indicate your mobile number when submitting your bid.
- If your upgrade bid is accepted, you will be informed by email and/or SMS 73 hours before your scheduled departure. In such cases, the bid amount will be charged to your credit card, and your booking will be changed to the BIZclass fare.
In such cases you will need to download your updated boarding pass from our website or using the Eurowings app, or pick it up at the check-in counter. If you fail to do this, you will not pass the security check at the airport.
If your bid is not accepted, you will receive no notification, will pay nothing and will fly in the class originally booked.
For technical and legal reasons, it is unfortunately no longer possible to submit an upgrade bid for group bookings, for bookings made through other airlines or for bookings made on behalf of unaccompanied minors.
A bid can only be considered if you have not yet checked into your flight.
The target booking class represents your original booking class; you are only receiving a higher-quality service class. In other words, the fare conditions for your originally booked ticket in the originally booked fare, the cancellation conditions, booking change fees and mileage credit will remain unchanged. All services that you booked will remain within the same scope.
Accepted upgrade bids are not transferable, not eligible for reimbursement and apply only to the flight indicated and the stated date. This is also the case if you originally booked a SMART-FLEX or BEST-FLEX fare.